What is Smile Design?
Smile design, with its other known name, aesthetic smile is among the dental applications that have recently attracted attention. The aim is to give aesthetics by applying various applications to the mouth structure that is not compatible with facial features. Of course, it is not enough just to have a beautiful image. At the same time, a comfortable use is provided functionally.
Smile design; It is also very effective in eliminating the laughing phobia in people from being a psychological problem. Many people’s distinctive behaviors such as covering their mouths with their hands while laughing and not wanting to laugh while taking a photo stand out. In general, this is due to the thought that the mouth circumference does not look aesthetic.
Who is Smile Design Applied to?
We can answer this question as follows.
- Crowded teeth,
- Tooth decays (especially anterior teeth), fractures,
- Those with jaw structure disorders,
- Those whose tooth structure is not compatible with the mouth,
- Those whose tooth gaps are distorted and excessive,
- Those who have laughing phobia problem because of their appearance,
- Those who want to have a more aesthetic and remarkable smile,
- Those who need pink aesthetics ( gingivoplasty ) and white aesthetics,
- Those who lack self-confidence due to tooth structure,
- Those who have problems of closing due to the impaired distance between teeth and lips,
- Those who want to have a younger or more mature appearance.
Most of the patients who have smile aesthetics prefer the application because of these and similar problems.
Things to Know Before Making a Smile Design
- Gender: It is one of the important points in smile design. Male facial features are generally clear cut and longer. Women are more round and oval.
- Age: Puberty must be past to intervene with some jaw structures. In some cases, bigger problems can be avoided with early intervention.
- Skin Color: Your choice of tooth color that is not suitable for your skin may prevent you from reaching the result you expect. Naturalness and harmony are very important for smile design.
- Face Shape: The roundness, being clear-cut of the face, lip thickness, mouth and jaw structure are among the determining factors in tooth selection.
Types of Smile Design
Smile design is an application that eliminates aesthetic anxiety and also has to provide the patient’s functional comfort. Therefore, what patients want and expectations are very important. There are certain features in this design. We can explain them as follows:
- Sporty Smile: We can say that it is the most preferred in smile design application. In this application, the anterior teeth are a bit longer than the lateral incisors. Thus, the face is given a more attractive visual.
- Attractive Aesthetic Smile (Sexy Smile): We can say that it is the application that holds the first place. It is an application made with the anterior two teeth being longer than the other teeth. This image creates a cooler, more feminine look especially for women.
- Sophisticated Smile: This application is created by making the anterior and side teeth in the same dimensions, all in the same alignment. A more mature, wiser image is obtained.
Treatments Included in Smile Design
Bonding: It is a simple method used for fractures, caries, slight splits and abrasions in teeth. A thin layer is taken from the damaged tooth and a substance called bonding is applied. The dentist creates an aesthetic appearance by shaping the tooth with great care. It can also be easily applied to small spaces between teeth.
Laminated Porcelain: It is a very thin layer applied on the tooth without damaging the natural tooth. It is applied in crooked teeth, broken teeth, blackened teeth after filling, and damaged tooth alignments due to jawbone.
Pink Aesthetics (Gingivoplasty): Smile design is not just a work on teeth. The mouth as a whole should correspond to the golden ratio. Some gums can recede over time. In such cases, the teeth return to their natural appearance with the method applied to the gum.
In addition, if the gum called gummy is too visible, the pink aesthetic method is applied. With the help of laser, the gums are pushed to the required level. Pink aesthetics too;
Regenerative: It is applied in dental damage caused by various diseases.
Gingivectomy: Used for gum growth. In addition, the excess gums are cut.
Gingivoplasty: It is applied to regulate the image level of the gums that are too disturbing.
Crown lengthening: Generally, the tooth crown becomes shorter as a result of the decays descending to the lower level. This disrupts the symmetry of the tooth structure. The circumference of the gum is regulated to make it look longer.
Because of the narrowness or width of the jaw, the teeth take place in different ways as they should be in the mouth. If the jaw structure is narrow, the teeth are arranged in an intricate pattern. If it is wider than necessary, gaps are formed and the sequence settles. In these disorders, it is aimed to return the teeth and jawbone to normal. The most effective result in this regard is orthodontic treatment, and the procedure known as braces is applied. When this treatment is not needed in smile design, it is not applied. The reason is that it requires a long term process.
Teeth Whitening (white aesthetic): It is a method applied to patients with tooth structure color disorder. In this application, which has no damage to the teeth, the stains on the tooth surface are removed by simple methods.
It is a method used in tooth loss due to various reasons. The metal in the form of a small screw obtained from the titanium material is placed in the jaw bone and integrated. Then a substance that resembles the tooth structure is fixed on the gum. Finally, porcelain teeth are made and an aesthetic appearance is obtained.
Shaping the Lip Contours:
Lips are as important as teeth for aesthetic smile. Thin and inverted lip structure will prevent the aesthetic appearance even if your teeth are perfect. Likewise, if the upper lip curve is not clear or does not create a symmetrical separation, the desired result cannot be obtained. Implementation of contour around the lips reveals a prominent and plump lip.
Known crownings are divided into two as supported and unsupported metal crownings. Generally, metal-colored crowning applications do not create an aesthetic appearance. Therefore, the use of zirconium comes into play. This substance, which is the color of the tooth, is made to be applied to the tooth with various mixtures. Thus, it is not noticed that there is a crowning on the tooth.
It is a method used in problems such as fracture, destruction, and decay in the teeth. Since it is made of porcelain material, it has a very solid and natural appearance. Because it is personal, it is designed in the size of the tooth and placed on the tooth. The most important thing in porcelain crowning is that it matches the tooth color and is not bigger than the teeth around.
Root Canal Treatment:
This application is applied in dental problems that cannot be recovered. In case of inflammation and decay of the tooth root, the dental nerves in the root are removed. The channels opened are filled with the active substance. It is then covered.
Which Problems Does Smile Design Solve?
- Tooth deformation
- Fractures and bruises
- Collapse around the lips
- Incompatibility of face shape and mouth structure
- Damages in gingival recession
- Amorphous teeth (long and very short) due to their size
- Crowding of teeth
- Psychological laughing phobia
- Excess gum (laser removal)
- Tooth stains and blackening
- Patients with self-confidence problems due to their appearance
- Too much tooth spacing
- Jaw bone disorder
Smile Design Treatment Process
During the first examination, a long meeting is held with the physician. All your face problems that you are aware of or not are detected. The procedures to be applied, the wishes of the patient, the desired or unwanted operations are decided. If orthodontic treatment is required during this period, the period can be extended up to 6 to 8 months.
In addition, the workload of the dentist and the supply of materials also affect the prolongation or shortening of time.
If the patient will only be treated for tooth and gum problems, this period can be done between 2 and 3 weeks.
After this process, the main application part is passed. This is done in two ways.
First, a photo of the patient’s tooth and its around is taken. The photograph is transferred to digital media and taken for examination. The software program is used for this job. Dental profiles with different structures are placed in the photo and their compatibility with the face is evaluated. The most suitable profile is selected and interpreted and kept as a sketch.
The second stage is done with the tooth model taken from the patient. This model is made from temporary materials (wax-up method). Before the procedure is done, the patient is evaluated by attaching it to natural teeth. Since these temporary teeth give clear results on the patient, adjustment, addition and various changes are made to give the final shape. Thus, you will have the chance to see the result before the process starts.
Placement of Teeth
Vertical Symmetry: It is the imaginary vertical line extending from the top of the forehead to the tip of the nose and from the middle of the anterior incisor to the chin end. It is important for symmetry to have the same dimensions on both sides of the face.
Horizontal Parallelism: The imaginary line passing through the middle of the pupil and the line at the tooth level must be equally parallel. Because a curved image occurs in the mouth.
Proportions of Teeth: There must be a shortening within a certain size from the anterior teeth to the back. This range is 0.168 ′. This number is considered the golden ratio. Many criteria are made according to this ratio.
Embrasures: It is the formation of a triangular space by the side teeth known as adjacent teeth. The purpose of applying this is to get a younger look. The embrasures in the tooth wear over time and create a collapsed appearance.
Advantages of Smile Design Treatment It is an application that includes a healthy mouth structure as well as aesthetic concern. It eliminates the problem of tooth closure. Color defects and spots are removed. Natural teeth are protected because they are covered with a special layer. The spaces created by missing teeth are filled with veneers.
- Broken teeth are repaired.
- Gum disorders are eliminated.
- Split tooth gaps are covered.
- It provides an aesthetic appearance.
- It offers healthy dental and oral care.
- It eliminates the laughing phobia and provides a confident smile.
- Natural looking teeth are obtained.
- Makes you look younger and more attractive.
Smile Design Disadvantages
Health and aesthetics are planned together. This may not be suitable for everyone. A clear price cannot be stated in advance for the application. In the first examination, information about the procedures is obtained and your doctor determines the procedures to be performed. Then your smile design cost is revealed.
The processes and the materials used are expensive and may not fit every budget. This becomes negative for some patients.
However, it should not be forgotten that it takes many processes into the smile design. The more important it is to have a checkup for your body, the smile design means for your oral and dental health.
Smile Design Prices
Prices are highly variable in smile design. From the experience of the dentist to the materials used, from patient requirements to surgical intervention needs, you come across a wide range. Since smile design is a personalized application, everyone pays a different fee.